Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lone Peak Football Coach  (Read 1780 times)
ColeKelley
Administrator
Gold Medalist

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:45 am »

I was careful with my choice of words on Facebook, but will be a bit more open on the message boards.

Here is what I've heard in a nutshell:
1- A parent of a player was upset with the playing time that his son had received. He gathered a few other parents who were also frustrated with the time their kids had been given and led the charge to get Coach McGeary fired.
2- The father leading the charge was a lawyer. He put together a power point presentation explaining how to get a coach in Alpine School District fired.
3- The power point basically outlined that you can request an investigation on any coach and the district must conduct an investigation.
4- The district conducted an investigation on Coach McGeary and found two things:
A- They found that he had received kickbacks on a camp that he took his team to, not against the law, but against district policy.
B- He had received some kickbacks (free clothing and equipment) from Under Armour. District policy will not allow a gift of more than $50. Again no violation of the law, but a violation of district policy.

Coach McGeary was fired primarily over these two things to my knowledge.

I get so frustrated with administators that CYA. They have shown no courage in this situation. I've known Coach McGeary for 6 years now. He worked at AF when I started here and we spent a lot of time together. He is a class act!!!

Many of you know that I have run camps all over the country and every camp that I have every run we kicked back money to coaches that brought kids and helped at the camp. I took several teams to camps throughout the years and I have received kickbacks from camps. I would bet that most of us coaches have received a pair of wrestling shoes for free that would be valued over $50. As long as we continue to employ administrators who tow the line and have no moral courage, good coaches will continue to take the fall.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

No Excuses, Just Results!
ironic
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:33:09 am »

I have always believed that the biggest danger to a coach at the High School level is a mediocre athlete with rich parents.
TBArmstrong
Silver Medalist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:47 am »

Violations of district policy, why not just a slap on the wrist?  Firing seems to be an excessive punishment.  Or do District Administrators have an agenda to ensure mediocrity reigns at the schools in their district (everything must be equal). ? 

As a parent of High School football players, soccer players, volleyball players, and wrestlers, I'm all for any legal means a coach can use to earn more income.  It's a shame Utah pays their teachers and coaches so little. 

I suggest those in the know publish the names of the parents who complained and started the investigation.  Let the parents of the other 80 football players on the team handle it from there.
ColeKelley
Administrator
Gold Medalist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:17 am »

This is not dead. There is some action taking place with the other parents. There are more than a few lawyers in the Lone Peak area. The other parents are even going after the law degree of the parent that lead the charge. I would just like to see an administrator step up and show some moral courage on the front end of something like this. I agree, if the district states, we will punish Coach McGeary internally for his actions, the matter is resolved. There are no criminal charges being brought to the table. There may be more to the story than what I know. You never know all the factors that go into the decisions, but I've seen enough on my end in education to know that many administrators are not looking out for the employee. Somehow in education if there is a perception that if someone is making money that they are breaking some rule somewhere. I could expand on why The Rumble is now a private tournament. It is a very similar story to what is happening here, but basically, I had a principal tell me that I could not pay myself any extra money (outside of my coaching addendum) for running The Rumble. I submitted a time card to pay myself $400 and she would not allow it. I accepted this while I was the head coach, but I ran it for one year after I stepped down as the wrestling coach and she still refused to pay me for running the event. That is when I told her that she can run her own tournament at Orem High and I would run a private event at UVU.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:07:25 pm by ColeKelley » Logged

Bulldog
Gold Medalist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

That was a great one ironic!!!  You said it all!

Coach McGeary is a good friend of my sister.  I, like Cole, have found him to be a class act.  The fact that scores of parents have rallied to his cause speaks well of him. I will hope for the best for Coach McGeary.  I know Lone Peak is especially a volatile place to coach because of what ironic said.
redsman
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »

If you receive money for working at a camp, isn't that called compensation?  If you receive money for getting more people to sign up, isn't that called a commission?  I believe a kickback implies something sinister and mob related.  This doesn't seem like a kickback but I have been a Salesman for 15 years and I may be not understand the academia policies. 

Don't our coaches donate enough of their time that they should be able to earn extra money???
jerseycream
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:09 pm »

If you received cocaine for signing up kids I would always say it was a kick back, following that reasoning if a coach were to receive a minimal amount of money for signing up kids or for working the tournament I doubt any one would call it a kick back or compensation as it would not nearly cover the cost of the time the coach has put in.  If the money was a lot of money like some times people get for bringing kids to an AAU basket ball tourney then it would be a kick back.  So, if you get more than $10,000 to work a tournament or sign up kids then it is a kick back but if it it is less than that then it is a gift for being a good coach.
Royal50
Copper Medalist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »

This isnt the first time this has happened and wont be the last.  Untill the administrators, district offices and others in control realize that the punishment doesnt fit the crime great coaches and personel will be lost do to someones distain for them. 
ColeKelley
Administrator
Gold Medalist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:35 am »

http://www.abc4.com/media/lib/5/a/c/a/aca9c466-5e22-4772-89f0-36c442662db3/Lone_Peak_HS_Complaint.pdf

A copy of the complaint. I read about the first 10 pages. This complaint is so weak! The "evidence" they site is so ridiculous. The "evidence" are emails that never state the kids are "required" to attend the camp. Here are a few statements in the complaint that got me worked up.

"Instead of giving every player the opportunity to play and having a meaningful football experience, the massive numbers led to just the opposite experience for most boys in Mr. McGeary’s program."

Here is another one:
"As a consequence of Mr. McGeary’s actions, many—in fact most—players on the 9th through 12th grade football teams were discarded or forgotten after camp was over, relegated to the bench and deprived of any meaningful playing time or football experience due to the massive numbers of kids admitted to the team"

In other words this guy wanted everyone to play and everyone to get a medal.

Bulldog
Gold Medalist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »

THE REALITY:

I would imagine about every boy that suited up got to play in sophomore and JV games.  

I would imagine that 35-40 players played in every varsity game, actually pretty typical at the 5A level.  Lone Peak generally platooned meaning that probably 18-20 players played on offense/defense with maybe 2-4, if that, playing both ways. I would imagine that 15-20 more players played on the various specialty units.  I would also imagine that many games were blowouts and players got in at that point.

I bet film would VERIFY this.  These sorts of claims are BOGUS!

Most coaches at the younger level find a spot for every kid to play. It might not be equal time but most will play. Last night I coached two sophomore baseball games and we had 16 players in uniform.  In both games every player played at least three innings and got at least one at bat.  What happened here I really don't think is atypical for most HS coaches.  

Bottom line, I doubt any players were "discarded" and I don't think just 15 or so players played every single play while the rest of the team sat on the pine--at any level of the program.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:57:54 pm by Bulldog » Logged
ColeKelley
Administrator
Gold Medalist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:17:01 am »

Even if they did not. Why does our society think that they are entitled to a certain amount of plays or a certain spot on the field. I certainly think that kids need opportunities, but not everyone is guaranteed a spot. Perhaps they need to start to cut. I've had people ask why it has not happened with Lone Peak Basketball and the simple answer is because the kid's parents that filed this complaint would have been cut if this were a basketball team. The basketball coach at Lone Peak is making $15,000 for his week long summer camp. I don't have a problem with him making $50,000 at his camp, but the hypocrisy of the situation is ridiculous.

Bulldog
Gold Medalist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 05:52:14 pm »

I agree Cole it shouldn't matter, I was just pointing out that the lack of playing time and being discarded were likely bogus issues in the first place...

Kylefoulon
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:36 pm »

Being the son of two junior high parents I have seen the politics as a son of parents and as a participant while in high school. It scares me sometimes that we let parents rule the school instead of teaching their kids what they can learn from the situation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: